Sunday, December 2, 2007

RightSizing: All In Your Mind?

This topic, which is of interest (statistically) to more and more people all of the time, was not discussed directly in the movie The Secret.

And yet, in the discussion forums, I have seen people posting and saying that they have been successful losing weight (rightsizing) by just using their mind, and NOT changing their eating habits or their exercise habits.

Now this is just what people are saying. Who knows if it is true? People say all kinds of crazy things. Especially on an Internet forum.

The current state of my belief on this point is that I am unbelieving. Because of this unbelief, the plan would not work for me whether there was truth in it or not. I believe that nothing stops the law of attraction faster than unbelief.

And yet I wonder, given all of the other aspects of the Law of Attraction that I do believe, is there something here that I am really missing?

Here are the fours things that the experts say has to be done to right size:

1. What you eat. Critical. The general rule is that if God made it, then you can eat it. If it was invented by man, stay away.

2. How you exercise. Exercise has to be included. Weight bearing exercise should be included in the mix. As always, make sure your health care provider knows what you are going to do.

3. How you sleep. If you do not get enough, then it is really hard to lose the weight.

4. How you handle stress. A stressed body does not lose weight easily.

OK so that's what the experts say. Kind of complicated. I sometimes have the feeling that I have to be perfect on these things to make any progress. In any case that is a lot to remember.

Would it not be easier to just spend 10 minutes everyday visualizing yourself as the size you want to be? Maybe I have wishful thinking that this could be true. Perhaps if we spoke to our bodies and assured them that they would receive the nutrition that they need, so there is no need to hold on to any extra weight.

I do know this for sure. Taking the actions above without changing our thinking at all is 95% doomed to failure. This means that 1 in 20 will succeed on this route. Our brains work on a thinking model, so what we will ultimately do depends on what we think, not what diet we are trying.

I hear the words of James Allen in the back of my mind: "Change of diet will not help a man who will not change his thoughts; when his thoughts become pure, then he no longer desires impure food".

And somewhere in those words I believe is the key that unlocks the door to good-lookingville.

It does suggest that we need to perhaps look more within, than without, to ultimately solve this issue; because I do believe that when the thoughts become pure, then we do not need to stress or pay undue attention to the actions; because the pure thoughts will keep them in line without us putting a lot of effort into it. Some call this "effortless prosperity".

So is losing weight and right-sizing hard to do? If you think it is, then you are probably trying to change actions without changing thoughts. I am a professional at this approach, but it does not pay very well.

So is changing your thoughts hard to do? A very good question. Changing your thoughts requires mental effort, and there are many who will live the physical life of a slave before they will be willing to put in some kind of mental effort.

But it is something that can be practiced, and with practice it is something that can be changed.

And once changed, watch out!

So is right-sizing really "effortless" for someone who has successfully changed their thoughts?

I believe YES. But I cannot yet prove it to you from my own experience. Still working on it.

I would love to hear from anyone out there who changed their thoughts for the better and found that rightsizing was a side effect.

What did you do exactly?

The world wants to know . . . .

Joseph

No comments: